Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik

Default Tektronix oscilloscope focus pot.

"Dave D" wrote in
:

"David Briscoe" wrote in message
Hi,
I contacted Piher UK and they say they stopped making focus pots 8-10
years
ago.
They have suggested I try Panasonic as they make TV's.I will try this
anyway.
It would be a shame to waste a good scope because of one part.

Perhaps as a last resort you could wire in some resistors and use a
standard pot with a plastic shaft? To reduce the voltage across the
pot you'll lose some adjustment range but if you select the components
correctly it should do the trick and be an adequate bodge. It
certainly better than dumping the scope.

Dave

That is what I would do,after contacting Tektronix to make sure they are
not still selling parts for that unit.
www.tek.com,check the LTPS(long term product support) section.
If it's listed in the obsolete category,then they will not be selling any
parts for it.

If that pot is mounted on the main board and not the front panel,then you
could insulate it to prevent arcing to other components,and IIRC,it
probably already uses a plastic shaft.(that's how my 2213 is)

You may not even have to add extra resistors,just use a regular 2 Megohm
pot. I doubt it will throw off the focus string.

Try it,it will not hurt anything.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik