Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

Default For Gunner

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
. com...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
. com...

G.W.,
You can't legistlate morality.

Feeling contrary today, I'm going to agree with Robert Bork on this
one and say that ALL legislation is legislation of morality. We make
laws to distinguish what we think is right from wrong; morality is
the distinction between right and wrong; all legislation is about
morality.

Borking me are you! That's novel. How many people can say they've been
Borked by Ed Huntress?
LOL
There is truth in that but the law flows from the constitution not the

other
way around.
We are, after all, discussing the Federal interest here and not the

State's.

I think what you're referring to here is primarily sexual behavior,
maybe with some social behavior added in. We effectively legislate
against many aspects of those things on which there is a large
consensus. On others, the consensus breaks down, and the laws are
largely or partially ignored.

Yes Ed, they are ignored. There is no fundamental principal involved.

I think you're wrong about that. There is principle, but the principle goes
against the ideas many of us hold about individual liberty. But, then, so
does much of legislation. That's the dilemma of democracy.

This is results in a lack of respect for the law and has lead to the
enormous influence of small but influential groups of advocates of
particular points of view beyond the broader consensus.

Hmm. Non sequitur. The lack of respect for law and the influence of those
small groups doesn't connect in any way I can see. IMO, those small groups
are influential because of their intensity of belief.

For example, for most of us, letting girls in high school show their
midriffs with short tops is a ho-hum issue. But I've been to some board of
education meetings where the small, intense group that feels otherwise has
shown up. g They're adamant. We're bored. So they have leverage on the
issue and often get their way.

I'm adamant against the use of artificial materials on dry flies in
fly-fishing-only waters, but I haven't been able to get enough like-minded
souls together to correct this foul legislation that allows Mylar wings.
I'll have to see what I can learn from the Intelligent Design folks. They're
similar moral issues. g

--
Ed Huntress