Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed

Default Refrigerator - freezer defrost test

Three easy ways to tell if it is working.
1. put it in the defrost cycle and look at the heater, it will turn red.
Even the metal heaters turn red.
2. Wait for the defrosting to begin. You'll hear the water dripping on the
heater, water should show up in the drip pan.
3. Put it into defrost and put the plug in and out of the wall outlet. If
it's working you'll see a pretty good spark.

"RichK" wrote in message
news
Hi All,

Fridge - Kenmore/GE 12 years old. Freezer on top.

My fridge was acting strange temp-wise, so I pulled the panel in the
freezer
and found the coil all frosted up. Defrosted it.

Now to the problem, as to why it happened. Pulled the defrost timer and
found one crimped wire a bit loose. Soldered it.
Did continuity test on the defrost heater - OK. The defrost thermostat
contact was open, which was at 60deg - OK too.
Put it all back together. Fridge works, but...

After about a 24hr run, I'd like to verify that the defrost works. The
timer motor is turning, I can see that with the control cover off. But
can
I really tell if the defrost heater is working? Should the back panel in
the freezer be warmer? This would verify the whole ckt.

RichK