Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default A question about chucks

"billh" wrote in message
.. .
I quite agree that a chuck is not essential. IMO, though, it makes a lot of
tasks more convenient and it is useful for holding small spindles such as
icicles for ornaments as well as face work. A chuck is just a somewhat
universal jig and there is nothing to stop you from making your own
purpose-built jig to do any task - I would just sooner use a chuck.
billh

"cm" wrote in message
Chucks are over priced and not needed to turn a bowl. I turn up 24" bowls
with no chuck and no tailstock. The bottoms of my bowls are conclave and
nicely finished.

A chuck is a tool. You can fiddle and fuss and get the job done, but it
sure is nice to have the proper tool.

I'm Novas, standard and Super. The most-used jaws on mine are the pin jaws,
followed by the 50mm. I also keep the power grip jaws mounted for those
times I want to cut something hanging way out.

What you need is a good mate on the jaws when closed, smooth symmetrical
operation on opening. "Grip" and how fast they open or close are so
unimportant as to be inconsequential.