Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Default Question about turning small details

mac davis said:

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 10:24:50 -0800, mac davis
wrote:

Greg...
I'm replying to my own post here... lol

I talk to myself all the time. No one else listens... ;-)

Try it, you'll like it, and it's a "cheap" way to get as lot more use out of the
termite... or at least the handle..

I have - and it holds promise - for a handle... ;-)
When I looked at the link that Darrell posted, the first thing I did
was run to the garage and grab the termite handle so that I could
locate something laying in a drawer that would work as a bit. Now I
just have to get the proper steel to make a few _real_ bits. I'm
thinking that the actual Oland Tool that Highland Hardware sells uses
a 1/4" round back bit. I could pick one of those up quick for $3.00.
And of course, the Sorby HM bit fit as well - but I don't know where
to get a replacement.

BTW: Tried the Termite a little last night, not for end grain, but on the pine
bowl blank that I was hogging out (cross grain)

I bought it originally to endgrain hollow a spalted birch log.
Nothing else would cut it without ripping out large chunks of the
semi-rotten wood. It's a little grabby, but not bad as long as you
leave a lip to ride in on, but as a touch-up tool it blows.

Kind of fun if you're careful, and an awfully clean cut... looks like a fun
addition to the chisels!

I've not used it a whole lot, and for what it cost, I guess I should.
But like most categories of tools, sometimes ya just gotta have one.

Thanks,

Greg G.