Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stephen Young

Default Casters on an H press?

Rex B wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 22:35:49 +0000, wrace wrote:

Speaking of casters. In my ongoing quest to put almost everything on
wheels, the 20ton floor standing H press is the next likely target.
It is an awkward beast to muscle around when I need to reconfigure
the shop. It has angle iron sticking out each side for legs (like
most commercial built H presses). Any reason I couldn't put a 4"
caster on each corner?

It would of course make it easier to move around, but I wonder how
the casters would affect it when in actual use? Seems like the usual
forces for an H press are pretty much contained within the structure
on a pretty much vertical basis, unless you are really reefing on the
jack handle I suppose... in which case you are probably not using the
right tool for the job?

Anybody have their H press on casters? Does it work ok?

Wayne

Along with all of the other answers, I'd add that I'd "recess" the
casters, i.e., mount them on sort of an L-bracket, so that you only have
to raise the base of the press maybe 1/4" - 1/2", rather than 4 or 5
inches.

/ . \ | PRESS | / . \

I dunno, at 6'3" I'd like to raise mine a little.

At 5'9" I have raised mine. Built a 4x4 H base to go under the press &
attached casters to the 4x4's - lifts the whole thing up about 6" -
easier to use now.