Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll

Default For Gunner

G.W. wrote:
John R. Carroll wrote:

I agree that letting a guilty person go free might be better than
losing our freedom but what the uproar is all about is not that.

It is the trade off that the Founding Fathers and their fellow citizens
knowingly and purposefully chose to make.
It isn't the goal to free the guilty, but to protect the innocent. Even if
those innocent are hateful or disgusting.
Disgusting isn't either illegal or actionable.

It's
about possibly missing a chance to stop a major attack which could
result in a potential huge loss of life.

I guess this is where we part company. I would rather eliminate the root
cause or at least resolve the situation to the point that our enemies either
fear the repercussions or stop wanting to attack violently.

Nobody is breaking into
houses. .

See "Sneak and Peak" and get back to me. My definition of "breaking in" is
unauthorized entry or entry and search absent notification or a warrant,
even if that entry is with a key.

The phone calls monitored are overseas with suspected
terrorists or their friends. Maybe mistakes will be made but to not
try could be worse.

What is in fact happening today is that the government is scooping it all
across a broad spectrum and THEN deciding what to do.
Point of isn't considered at all except that the collection is no longer
limited in any way territorially or nationality wise.

Where we seem to differ is in the "what to try" department.
I'd like to try the things that will remove the threat more permanently.
Treat the disease, if you will, at gunpoint or not. Whatever works.

Your position, if you will think for a moment, is to condone treating the
symptom while ignoring the disease.

I am not sure either of us is "right". In fact, I am not even sure there is
a "right" answer. What I am sure of is that sacrificing what has been won at
such tremendous cost would be, and is, wrong. Standing by our founding
principals is the only thing to do regardless. What's left to defend if we
don't?

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.