Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ducque

Default Lifiting a Lathe...

I just moved my new (well, new to me) 12x36 into place. The lathe came
attached to a welded-up stand made from 3/16 steel. The "all up"
weight is something over 600-ish lbs.

I used an engine hoist and some 3/32 stainless aircraft cable without
problem; all 10 fingers and all 10 toes are still intact.

The engine hoist was rented ($30/day); the capacity was given as 1200
lbs. and it was absolutely "loafing" for this job. My estimate is that
it would do at least twice or three times what I asked it to do. Years
ago, I used to own an engine hoist which was rated for 1.5 ton, or
about 3000 lbs. That hoist was about the same construction as the
rented hoist.

(There are always 1.5 ton engine hoists on ebay at about $130 - $150
plus shipping = about $200; about the same deal from Northern Supply or
equivalent.)

I would think that if you look around, you should not have a terrible
problem with 1300 lbs and a suitable engine hoist. The biggest
headaches a

1) The length of the hoist's "feet" getting in the way of placing the
lathe (you need to move it "on the diagonal" if the lathe will be
placed near a wall).

2) The fact that the lathe is hoisted via cable or chain means that it
will swing like a pendulum as you try to move it. And that !@#$%#
thing is HEAVY. That means LOTS OF MOMENTUM. Hence, slow, deliberate
movements -- and keeping control of the pendulum, er, ah, uh, the
lathe, are necessary.

wrote:
I have a Brand new 13X40 lathe sitting on a pallet right in front of it's stand.

It weighs about 1300 lbs.

My first thought was to rent an engine hoise, but most hoists I've seen are rated to 1/2 Ton..
The Garage roof is a flat 2x12 roof, so it's not strong enough to do the lifting,
thought I might be able to attach 4 2x6's to the roof structure, where the 2x6
would provide vertical support for the weight and the roof joists keep it from tipping over.

I don't really have the space to use a fork lift, but that would be ideal if I did.

Any suggestions?

I can always make a stack of 4x4 and cinder blocks and slowly jack it up...

Paul