Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

Default Casters on an H press?

On 23 Dec 2005 07:31:43 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

Grant is right about bigger casters.

I would still extend the legs to provide a wider base.

It might be simplest to get a big chunk (3' or 4' square) of heavy
plate to mount it on, if you happen to have one handy - that would
move the wheels out in all four directions. If you just get longer
straight 'foot' channels without putting them at an angle, that still
leaves it less stable side to side. A notch in the front of the plate
for human operator foot clearance might be called for.

Also when you move, if you can lower the center of gravity of the press
by lowering parts of it or removing parts I would.

I like the rigs with the lowering winch that drops the work arm on
two wire ropes. Pull the pins and crank it down to lower the CG.

Some people store all their dies, tooling, etc. on the press which adds
hundreds of pounds to the unit.

Which would be fine if the tooling was sitting down low on the base
plate, or a tray on the channel legs - but I usually see it stacked on
the sides of the work arm, or even worse on the top. Especially when
you live in Earthquake Country, you want to store the really heavy
stuff down as low as possible, so it doesn't have far to fall.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545