Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fentoozler

Default leak in heat exchanger.

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
news
Fentoozler wrote:

This is a condensing boiler, and a nasty one at that. If not serviced
properly (taking special care to clean out the condensate trap) then the
condensate can sit in the heat exchanger / combustion chamber if there
is a blockage and rot connections away -

Out of interest, what are these connections made from that water can "rot"
so quickly?

It must be over a year since I worked on one (thankfully). The example I saw
was the 'spigot' at the bottom of the combustion chamber which then joined
onto the condensate siphoning pipe work - this was a metal connection, steel
or copper, which the highly acidic condensate will munch through (which is
why condensate pipes are run in plastic). Design fault. Ideal again!