Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Default Advice needed for ideas for moving Radiator pipes

M.D.Palmer wrote:

Hi there,

We've just bought our first house and we need to move some radiator
pipes. I want to try and have a go at this myself before calling a
professional.

I'm after some advice as to what type of pipe is best to use. I've
read that plastic pipe is simpler to use as it avoids the tricky
soldering of copper pipes.

So I was thinking of using plastic piping for under the floor boards
and then just connecting copper pipes for the upshoots to the
radiators.

Does this sound like a good idea? Are plastic pipes to way to go? And
does anyone know any good websites with plumbing guides?

Many thanks in advance.

If you *do* use plastic pipe, make sure that it is barrier type to stop any
air from getting in. Plasic pipe is fine for vertical runs where it doesn't
show. If you use it for horizontal runs, you really need to support it all
the way on a plank of wood. Otherwise it will sag and encourage air locks.

My preference would be to use copper pipe. If you're not comfortable with
soldering or compression joints, use copper push-fit like
http://tinyurl.com/75rmw

These are easy to work with, and can be dismantled (using the correct
release tool) if desired. If you need to put them where they show, they look
much better than plastic pushfit fittings.
--
Cheers,
Set Square