Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

Default Refrigerator - freezer defrost test

Hi Turtle,

Thanks for confirming my measurements!

"TURTLE" wrote in message

first the 40 minute cycle you speak of is new to me for the longest
defrost cycle time that i have ever hear of is the 31 minute every 8
hours , but most are the 25 minute every 6 hours.

I have not measured the defrost cycle. I'm quoting from the wiring diagram
and info that was on the back of the fridge. It states: Defrost Control 12
hrs. @ 40 min. Defrost Thermostat 60-28degF.
But it was at least 30 min, just from what I remember.

now if the defrost circuit is pulling 4 amps in defrost cycle. it is
running and pulling the right amps. if it is pulling 4 amps your heater
is running. Your good there.

OK.

most Refrigerator these days will pull 1.5 amps to 3.5 amps and most
regular refrigerator will pull between 1.5 and 2.5 amps. So your 2 amps
seem just about right.

OK

now in your other post you spoke of a loose spade connection and not a
broken connection. Was this connection broken enough to say it could
break the power to that section or not ?

The "loose spade" I found was the power to the timer coil. There's a "post"
wire, which is crimped to the spade connector. It is that crimp that was
loose. The timer motor wires are like human hair and are wrapped and
soldered to that "post wire".

I found the loose connection as I was measuring timer motor resistance. The
measurement was varying, due to the post moving.

FWIW, I also found a spot on the plastic timer cam, where there was some
melting of plastic. Suspect the motor stopped and contacts did not break
cleanly and perhaps "cooked" for a while.
I cleaned up the cam and put it back in. Cleaned up the contacts in the
timer. They break the full load of the compressor, which is about 2A as
you've confirmed.

Now what i have heard so far it is working good now but if it messes up
it will not show up as a problem for 7 to 14 days and you will see it
freeze up again. now this might be the best cource of action here
because of tring to do all the testing to see a refrigerator running
good. wait 14 days to see if it screws up again.

Will watch for a while. After a few days, I will pull the panel in the
freezer and see how much frost has accumulated on the coil, if any.

Now here is what I think and really off the record here. I think the
defrost timer stop on you and when you moved it it unstuck it and went
back to working. If it is frose up the heater will most of the time
will not be enough to do a total recovery from the start of it all
froze up.

You got it! I wrote that above.

Thanks for your help. I've been able to troubleshoot several things in the
house, thanks to the help from this Group.

Regards,

Rich