Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Default Finishing a wooden plane (double take)

Steve knight wrote:
Is it just not done? I can understand that, because an oil might affect
the wood being planed, and a shellac or lacquer would wear off the sole
eventually anyway.

What about tung oil? Or (polymerized) linseed oil? What about paste
wax, seems like that would be a win?

Now I've done this, I can appreciate the beauty of the Knight planes and
I'm teetering on the edge of getting one. Just have to overcome an
inherent resistance to significant purchases, but when I do one of those
jointers with a japanese blade is mine.

finish on a plane is more to keep the wood from getting grungy and
make it look/feel nice. no finish on the sole but wax. oil and wax is
a good combo. I found this cool oil/wax mix that makes a good finish.
but at 28.00 a quart it is not practical for just a tool.

Hey, Thanks...

I have tung oil and paste wax. I'll try that.

er
--
email not valid