Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Refrigerator - freezer defrost test

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:03:47 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

RichK wrote:
Hi All,

Fridge - Kenmore/GE 12 years old. Freezer on top.

My fridge was acting strange temp-wise, so I pulled the panel in the freezer
and found the coil all frosted up. Defrosted it.

Now to the problem, as to why it happened. Pulled the defrost timer and
found one crimped wire a bit loose. Soldered it.
Did continuity test on the defrost heater - OK. The defrost thermostat
contact was open, which was at 60deg - OK too.
Put it all back together. Fridge works, but...

After about a 24hr run, I'd like to verify that the defrost works. The
timer motor is turning, I can see that with the control cover off. But can
I really tell if the defrost heater is working? Should the back panel in
the freezer be warmer? This would verify the whole ckt.

RichK

A clamp-on ammeter on the switched lead from the defrost timer to the
heater ought to tell you.

Doesn't this thing have slide on connectors? Why not putting the
ammeter right in the circuit? Most people don't have a clamp-on.

HTH,

Jeff

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.