Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

Default Refrigerator - freezer defrost test

"udarrell"

They are easy to check out. If it is your fridge, let it run a few hours
and while the fridge is running advance the timer until it clicks into
defrost mode.
The evaporator fan should stop, wait a few minutes and open the freezer
door and feel where the heater coil is located, it should be warm.
You will usually get a clear indication that the element is heating.

You are right. The key here is to feel the heater area, soon after you
force the defrost cycle. I could feel that part of the of panel warmer in
the freezer. I also measured the current - it was 4A.

Left the defrost cycle on for a while and the thermostat must have worked,
as the panel got cool again. I probably would have cycled ON/OFF during the
40min (spec) that the cycle runs.

I later measured the run current of the compressor in the same place in a
circuit (a common leg) and to my surprise it was only 2A. Is this about
right?

The compressor spec (from sheet on the back of fridge) is 1092 BTU/hr.
Monthly energy consumption listed at 80 KWH.with 20-30% run time at 70F.

Rich