Posted to alt.home.repair
udarrell

Default Refrigerator - freezer defrost test

RichK wrote:

Hi All,

Fridge - Kenmore/GE 12 years old. Freezer on top.

My fridge was acting strange temp-wise, so I pulled the panel in the freezer
and found the coil all frosted up. Defrosted it.

Now to the problem, as to why it happened. Pulled the defrost timer and
found one crimped wire a bit loose. Soldered it.
Did continuity test on the defrost heater - OK. The defrost thermostat
contact was open, which was at 60deg - OK too.
Put it all back together. Fridge works, but...

After about a 24hr run, I'd like to verify that the defrost works. The
timer motor is turning, I can see that with the control cover off. But can
I really tell if the defrost heater is working? Should the back panel in
the freezer be warmer? This would verify the whole ckt. RichK

They are easy to check out. If it is your fridge, let it run a few hours
and while the fridge is running advance the timer until it clicks into
defrost mode.
The evaporator fan should stop, wait a few minutes and open the freezer
door and feel where the heater coil is located, it should be warm.
You will usually get a clear indication that the element is heating.

If it isn't heating immediately unplug the fridge and check for
continuity through the defrost termination thermostat circuit, it should
be closed, if not and all the other circuits test okay, replace the
defrost TH with one of the same termination temp. Check out the wiring
diagram and schematic for check points.
- udarrell

--
PROPER A/C UNIT & DUCT SIZING ESSENTIAL for EFFICIENCY & BTUH PERFORMANCE
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...syste ms.html