Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

Default Refrigerator - freezer defrost test

"Jeff Wisnia"

It *should* work, particularly if you have one of the motor driven
defrost timers which has a manual knob on it which allows you to advance
the timer by hand so that you don't have to stay there for a day
watching the meter waiting for the defrost time to come up. G.

There are some clear advantages to old tech designgs. The timer can be
advanced using a screwdriver to rotate the cam operating the contacts.

I suppose if you were anal enough about it you could use a slow speed
chart recorder to plot the output from a current transformer placed on
that lead to see that current comes on periodically and stays on until
the thermostat ("bimetal") senses that the evaporator area isn't ice
cold anymore and opens the circuit.

No I did not take this part seriously :-) Don't have a chart recorder :-)
But was going to ask, if anyone has seen something in that line. I'd like
to record somehow, the total time an appliance runs in 24hrs - say the
refrigerator in question. Of course you can sit through several cycles with
a stopwatch and record the times.

Rich