Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
billh

Default A question about chucks

The Talon also has a 5:1 ratio as well and I wouldn't be surprised if most
key driven chucks are around the same. However, I do have a lot of faith in
the Oneway jaws for holding. I also have a Stronghold and you are right, it
is fantastic but somewhat big for his lathe. What I like about the Talon is
its small size which makes it easier to do more complete shapes of bowl
bottoms while chucked.
To the original poster, any quality chuck will serve you well be it a
Oneway, Vicmarc, SuperNova.
billh

"tdup2" wrote in message
The Oneway Stronghold are the best it has a 5 to 1 clamping ratio. For
smaller lathes the Talon is next. The Stronghold is pricey but you get
what you pay for. It can't be beat.

Tim

"Don Sforza" wrote in message
Go easy on me... I'm new to turning, but getting hooked.

After about a year of turning pens and other "between center" things, I'm
ready to make the jump into other turning... bowls and the like. I began
a search for a chuck and I've narrowed my choices down. BTW, I bought a
Penn Industries Barracuda (not the B2), and it's going back today. I was
really diappointed in the fit of the jaws and the overall finish. I woudl
have jumped at a B2, but none are in stock. From the looks of the
Barracuda, I would have been buying another one in short order. I like to
buy tools ONCE, but I'm not opposed to saving a buck if the functionality
is not compromised.

So I'm thinking either a Oneway Talon with the extra set of small jaws or
the SuperNova. I currently have a Jet Mini, but will be looking to
upgrade in the next year. Prices seem comparable, but I'm looking for
some of that peer to peer banter of the relative merits of each.

Don