Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
yourname

Default Lifiting a Lathe...

Don't believe that for a minute! The CG is well above the bed.

IIRC, we had a posting several years back of a special device
custom made for the purpose of lifting such a lathe. It was a set of
plates -- the top to fit the ways, and the bottom to clamp under the
ways, joined by some allthread and nuts above and below. The allthread
terminated in an eye up well *above* the center of gravity, making the lathe
far less likely to suddenly turn turtle.

It (and the carriage) were slid back and forth until a good
balance point was established, and everything locked down firmly --
including the tailstock.

I *think* that posting was by Fitch, but I'm not sure any more.

Interesting. First thought that comes to mind is wondering what, if
any, damage might occur to th' ways by supporting that much weight.
Do you think it might tweak th' level any?

Hey Gunner (or anyone else for that matter), have any comments about
this?

Snarl

a plate and big eye bolt are how they are usually lifted, per factory
and riggers I have seen