Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Default Casters on an H press?

wrace wrote:
Speaking of casters. In my ongoing quest to put almost everything on wheels,
the 20ton floor standing H press is the next likely target. It is an awkward
beast to muscle around when I need to reconfigure the shop. It has angle
iron sticking out each side for legs (like most commercial built H presses).
Any reason I couldn't put a 4" caster on each corner?

It would of course make it easier to move around, but I wonder how the
casters would affect it when in actual use? Seems like the usual forces for
an H press are pretty much contained within the structure on a pretty much
vertical basis, unless you are really reefing on the jack handle I
suppose... in which case you are probably not using the right tool for the
job?

Anybody have their H press on casters?

Not yet, but mine will be. HF orange Chinese 20 ton. I don't see a
downside.
Might want to reinforce those angle iron legs (on mine) but probably
will not.