Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Day

Default leak in heat exchanger.

"Fentoozler" nospam@mapson wrote in message
"Stuart" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 11:32:07 +0000 (UTC), "Nigel Day"
wrote:

Hi all,

my "ideal responce" boiler has developed a very slow leak
where one of the water pipes enters the heat exchanger.
The connection is not a hexagonal nut but a metal flange type
fitting with two large screws and a allen key type nut on the side.

I tried to tighten these screws but they wont budge (any ideas?)
or could i possibly add some type of heat resistant sealent
around the fitting?

Is boiler finished along with my bank account (sniff sniff)
or is there any way to repair this?

any help much appreciated.

nige.

Hva you checked to see if anywhere has exploded diagrams of the
various fittings to see how it is put together .perhaps Ideal's
website .??

Adding heat resistant sealant might work but a better solution would
be to try and get the fitting removed to see how it is sealed and
repair it properly ... It might have a gasket or ceramic rope beneath
the fitting .

Stuart

--

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Is the leak definately from the connection? If so, drain down the boiler
(whole system if open-vented), and re-make the connection (using
appropriate o'rings / washers / PTFE etc) No gas connections involved.
Beware, any water left in the heat exchanger which may escape once you
undo the connection may be black as your hat. If the leak is infact from
a split in the heat exchanger, then it is game over - not economically
viable to repair.

A competent parts supplier (e.g. HRPC) will be able to help you identify
any parts required, just supply them with the Gas Council Number (GC
Number - found on the boiler data plate).

FYI - If you do manage to fix it, start saving again, as you PCB is likely
to blow soon, possibly your fan will knacker up soon too - thats around
£250/£300 + labour. These boilers are prone to these failures - get a
Worcester or Vaillant.

Angus

Thanks very much for your
comprehensive replies, much