Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick

Default How to Touch Up Wood Casement Window?

wrote in message
ps.com...
I would like to know the best way to touch up the horizontal surface

of
a wooden casement window. The finish of some areas in the casement
window have chipped out. I would like to touch up those areas. But

don't know what is the finish that was applied on the surface.
Therefore, I don't know where to start. I would like people to help

me
to identify the finish that is on the surface of the wood casement
window.

I am sure the finish is not paint because I can clearly see the wood
grain. I have a feeling that there is a film over the wood that
protected the wood, gives it a glossy/satin look, and also gives the
wood a dark brown color. That film of finish is the thing that gets
chipped out and exposes the light color wood under the finish. I

have
a feeling that the exposed wood underneat the film of finish has not
been stained because its color is light.

What's the finish that was applied on the wood? How to touch up the
areas that have chipped out?

Can I try something simple to restore like 75% of the original look

in
case I cannot determine the original finish on the wood? How's

about
wax? How's about tung oil?

I have read the caring-tip of the casement window in the

manufacturer
site (Anderson Window). But the document doesn't say what finish

was
put on the window.

Thanks in advance for any idea.

Jay Chan

Unless you are referring to the cladding they put on the sills and
such. But to my recollection they only come in white and sandalwood.
Could be wrong-it's been a long time since I installed any
Andersens...