Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default Question about turning small details

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:47:48 -0500, Greg wrote:

Darrell Feltmate said:

I would use a 1/8" Oland tool with the sides ground back. A bit of rotation
allows a shear cut at the end to give a good sanding surface.

I fumbled around your site and found the info on the Oland tool.
I have a Termite handle that seems natural for a bit holder.
Tried it out (sorta) with a Sorby HM scraper bit, and it seemed very
controllable, but the grind on the scraper wasn't optimal.

I need to come up with a source for HSS, without the ususal "minimum
order, we don't stock that, never heard of that" routine. Probably
wouldn't use more than 2 feet of stock in a lifetime.

Thanks, Darrell.

Greg G.

Greg... I bought these:

They're perfect for my Oland tools but to use in your Termite handle (I have 2
hours termite experience now) they'll have to be rounded at the base.. they seem
to cut very well, are easy to grind and hold an edge pretty well... and they're
very affordable..

You can make a set of tips in whatever shapes you like, or just regrind what you
need and change bits when you're down to a stub..

I ended up making 3 Oland tools so that I can either have 3 different grinds to
work with, or my "late night stealth" mode, where they're all a general grind
but I can go a LONG time without running the grinder or sander and ****ing off
the neighbors..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing