Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lifiting a Lathe...

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 19:51:26 GMT, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
I can always make a stack of 4x4 and cinder blocks and slowly jack it
up...

Don't do that either Paul.

Well, certainly don't set it on a single pile of blocks at each end, no.
But putting four stacks of blocks with wide wood beams across each end
renders a strong and stable jacking base.

If I were to use cribbing in that manner, it'd all be suitably sized
and appropriately placed wood. Then again, working in a drydock (Lake
Union drydock, Seattle, WA) convinced me of th' merits of same.
Cinder blocks would be th' weak link in that chain, IMHO.

It'd be much safer and easier to rent a sissors style lift[1], rated
for th' lathe x 2, and raise it to stand level *then* place it with an
engine hoist in th' exact manner you cited earlier, slow, slow, slow.
That way th' lathe only needs to be a fraction of an inch above either
th' stand or sissor lift or both, during final placement.

[1] Unless you already own one. I've got a Southworth industrial
electric over hydraulic, sissors table lift, rated at 2 tons. I use
it regularly as a motorcycle lift.

Snarl