Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK)

Default White Knight tumble dryer - drum not turning

Tony Williams wrote:
In article .com,
paulfoel wrote:

When I take belt off the motor does not turn until I give it a
slight nudge. If I put the belt back on I still cant get the drum
to turn (probably because I cant turn it fast enough to start the
motor up).

That looks like the most significant paragraph in
your original fault description.

It doesn't run until you poke it... which suggests
that there is only a single phase connected, which
could be power only to the Main winding or only to
the Auxiliary winding (the one via the capacitor).

But even when poked it has no torque.... which then
suggests that only the Aux winding is being powered.

It looks like it could be a poor connection to the
main winding of the motor, or the main winding itself.

It's an ohmeter job. Locate and check continuity of
the main winding, then work backwards along all wires
and connections to it.

Perps, in order of probability:-

Any switches, switching or reversing power to the main
winding. The main winding itself. Crimps and connections
along the wiring.

If no obvious fault is found, do the same ohmeter exercise
in the Auxiliary path, (just in case), particularly checking
the capacitor for short circuit along the way.

There is often a thermal cutout embedded in the winding. The often fail
after repeatedly tripping.

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio