Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Default Question about turning small details

said:

Depending on the wood, I use my 1/4 bowl gouge (yup... that is what
they call it!) with the ears ground back, but a round point on it. It
is easy to put a point on that thing and you wind up with a million
tiny grooves. This only works well if the wood isn't too prone to tear
out.

Couldn't find a bowl gouge that small.
Rockler, Highland Hardware, Woodcraft, nothing.
(Perhaps as part of a mini-turning set or something...)
I have a 3/8, but it's far too big.

However, go to Darrell's site and check out his Oland tools. I am
experimenting with the concept/shape/design of the bits, and some of
them are pretty cool, and in some configurations on certain woods they
leave a surface smooth enough to finish sand.

I did, and experimented briefly with the idea.
Have no HSS handy, and if I have to invest time into it, we're not
using soft steel.

The one I am experimenting with now is a 3/16" round bit with a 60
degree bevel on it, and cut across the top at about 5 degrees to give a
negative rake. Because the bite is so small using it as a spindle
gouge, it cuts the tough stuff like butter and leaves a great surface
behind. Once correctly ground, the 5% cobalt bit takes a few swipes
with the stone and it is good as new. It never really feels sharp...
but the steel wool like shavings tell me I am doing OK.

Heck, I was amazed at the tiny little 3 foot long shavings I got from
that kiln dried segmented dish. The glue held together, even at that
resolution. Looked like a pile of Walnut brown steel wool. I
stretched a couple of the Maple sections out lengthwise, and they
exceeded 4 feet. Way Cool!

It would be interesting to see a pictorial representation of your tool
and grind. Uh... Let me rephrase that... g

I am thinking that if you are making a bunch of your bowls you might
want to look into making something similar, and dedicate your tool or
at least the specific bit to the job.

These types of details are pretty common, so I would probably want a
tool dedicated to the task. I was quite surprised at being unable to
find a detail gouge/tool designed expressly for this purpose.

Thanks for all the info, Robert.

Greg G.