Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Default Question about turning small details

Greg G. said:

What tools do you use to turn the rolled lip and beaded base details?
These are 1/4" ID or so.

Well, I messed around with this challenge a bit yesterday.
For you who are Masters of the Black Art of hand grinding fine
profiles, excuse the repetition of an exhausted subject.
It's all new to me...

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...ailGrind01.jpg

All I had to work with was a small 1/4" Crown spindle gouge.
No one had a small bowl gouge in stock locally, and I don't have any
HSS handy. My old drill bits seem far too brittle...

But with a little grinder work and probably more to come, I have come
up with a grind that, while perhaps not perfect, seems serviceable.

I used a strip of 7 ply plywood, and a scrap of maple to test the
various grinds. I figure if it cuts these examples, an actual piece
should present no new problems.

The 1/4" gouge is more shallow than I had hoped, and cutting a smooth
round on the end is a real PITA. It's far too easy to end up with a
ragged, too-long finger when trying to obtain an effective side grind.
Treating the sides/edges first, then moving to blend with the tip
seems most effective. I think I'm going to try and reduce the bevel a
bit more as well. I've developed an interesting combination rotating,
sweeping, and rising movement for sharpening this blasted thing...

One of these days, I'm going to have to buy a book on the subject.
Did I mention how difficult it is to get a nice smooth, rounded end?

FWIW,

Greg G.