Posted to rec.woodworking
No

Default Finishing Quarter Sawn Sycamoe

Do you have some scraps to experiment with? My experience is that Boiled
Linseed Oil (BLO) will highlight the grain, not diminish it. I have had good
results with BLO/Shellac combinations on several projects although none with
sycamore. Seems around here, and in general, that finish preferences are
widely varied. Everyone has their favorite. You may get lots of differing
opinions. None are right and yet they all are right. Bottom line - pick what
finish you like the look of, experiment and pick one that is suitable for
the intended purpose of the piece.

Merry Christmas

"Scott Lemonds" wrote in message
I need some finishing suggestions for some quarter sawn sycamore. The
guy I bought it from said not to use oil - it muddies the grain. He
suggested shellac, possibly with Transtint dye if more color was
needed.

I'll be using this wood for the panels in a sideboard that I want to
build and really want to show off the beautiful grain this stuff has.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

Scott in KC