Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lemonds

Default Finishing Quarter Sawn Sycamoe

I need some finishing suggestions for some quarter sawn sycamore. The
guy I bought it from said not to use oil - it muddies the grain. He
suggested shellac, possibly with Transtint dye if more color was
needed.

I'll be using this wood for the panels in a sideboard that I want to
build and really want to show off the beautiful grain this stuff has.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

Scott in KC
Posted to rec.woodworking

Scott Lemonds wrote:
I need some finishing suggestions for some quarter sawn sycamore.

I'll be using this wood for the panels in a sideboard that I want to
build and really want to show off the beautiful grain this stuff has.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

Scott in KC

Hi Scott,

I know a cabinet maker who uses all of the sycamore he can get for
drawer sides. He says it's better than poplar and looks tons better. He
likes the rays, that kind of prismatic effect of the wood grain, so, he
shoots it all with clear laquer. That seems to preserve the grain and
the rays he is so obsessed with. It yellows with time, probably not the
finish you want though.

Tom in KY, checking out a few rays myself today, rays of sunshine that
is. While it's still around.

Posted to rec.woodworking
No

Do you have some scraps to experiment with? My experience is that Boiled
Linseed Oil (BLO) will highlight the grain, not diminish it. I have had good
results with BLO/Shellac combinations on several projects although none with
sycamore. Seems around here, and in general, that finish preferences are
widely varied. Everyone has their favorite. You may get lots of differing
opinions. None are right and yet they all are right. Bottom line - pick what
finish you like the look of, experiment and pick one that is suitable for
the intended purpose of the piece.

Merry Christmas

"Scott Lemonds" wrote in message
I need some finishing suggestions for some quarter sawn sycamore. The
guy I bought it from said not to use oil - it muddies the grain. He
suggested shellac, possibly with Transtint dye if more color was
needed.

I'll be using this wood for the panels in a sideboard that I want to
build and really want to show off the beautiful grain this stuff has.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

Scott in KC

Posted to rec.woodworking
butch burton

My family's home has a couple of walls of sycamore paneling - was
finished with varnish about 50 years ago - it has yellowed slightly and
some of the boards have a faint green cast - rather nice appearance.

The nicest wood we have is a couple walls of sassafras - beautiful
exotic grain on this wood. Had to be filled as the grain was quite open.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article , Scott Lemonds wrote:
I need some finishing suggestions for some quarter sawn sycamore. The
guy I bought it from said not to use oil - it muddies the grain. He
suggested shellac, possibly with Transtint dye if more color was
needed.

Oil finishes usually highlight grain. Semi-gloss finishes, whether oil- or
water-based, will obscure it somewhat; matte finishes will obscure it a lot.

I've achieved good results on QS sycamore with Arm-R-Seal (an oil-poly blend).

I'll be using this wood for the panels in a sideboard that I want to
build and really want to show off the beautiful grain this stuff has.

It *is* beautiful, isn't it? Love it.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Try several different finishes on scraps and see which you like best.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jerry

"Scott Lemonds" wrote in message
I need some finishing suggestions for some quarter sawn sycamore. The
guy I bought it from said not to use oil - it muddies the grain. He
suggested shellac, possibly with Transtint dye if more color was
needed.

I'll be using this wood for the panels in a sideboard that I want to
build and really want to show off the beautiful grain this stuff has.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

Scott in KC

Having a woodcutter come over between now and New Years to drop a sycamore.
The tree has been throwing
limbs at the neighbors and hit one of thier cars. Well better the car than a
kid. Sorry to see the tree go but the wood
will be put to good use. Anybody know if one can obtain sycamore veneered
plywood?

regards
9 Finger Jer

Posted to rec.woodworking
I like To Please

Sam Talarico of Talarico Harwoods uses Waterlox and it is beautiful.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bugs

Sycamore is relatively soft and open pored. My personal preference is a
sealer of thinned blonde shellac, then build up the finish with coats
of shellac which you can tint with aniline dyes if desired.
Bugs