Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finishing Quarter Sawn Sycamoe

Scott Lemonds wrote:
I need some finishing suggestions for some quarter sawn sycamore.

I'll be using this wood for the panels in a sideboard that I want to
build and really want to show off the beautiful grain this stuff has.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

Scott in KC

Hi Scott,

I know a cabinet maker who uses all of the sycamore he can get for
drawer sides. He says it's better than poplar and looks tons better. He
likes the rays, that kind of prismatic effect of the wood grain, so, he
shoots it all with clear laquer. That seems to preserve the grain and
the rays he is so obsessed with. It yellows with time, probably not the
finish you want though.

Tom in KY, checking out a few rays myself today, rays of sunshine that
is. While it's still around.