Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

Default thinking about how to power this mill

some more follow up info - the pump on this mill is .15 amps at 220 -
no need for fancy circuitry there, though we shall see - the motor
that moves the ways is 5.9 amps, (2 hp) the spindle motor is 6 hp,
so, any thoughts?

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 06:11:20 +0000, "William B Noble (don't reply to
this address)" wrote:

this Abene mill finally arrived - a long story. The good news is that
it's wired for 220, so I won't need to worry about a transformer or
other means to convert to 440 - everything seems to be dual voltage.
My plan, unless someone here has a much better idea is to use two
VFDs, one for the spindle motor, one for the ways motor, and to use a
suitably sized capacitor for the coolant pump - a little motor that
doesn't seem worth a VFD of its own. I like the VFD approach because
of the soft start. If anyone has a better suggestion, chime in.... I
don't really want to use a rotary converter because of space
considerations

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 05:39:01 +0000, "william_b_noble"
wrote:

so, after wanting a milling machine for a few years, I broke down and bought
one - this one
to be specific. I've mailed $$ to the manufacturer in Sweeden who will send
me the manual (cheap, 55 euros), so now while I'm waiting for delivery, I'm
turning my attention to the next problem - how to power it.

You will notice that it says it's 440V - I don't know if the motors, etc are
dual voltage or not, but my garage doesn't have 440 in it. Of course I can
use a transformer and a bunch of VFDs or a rotary phase converter, or ....
but I wonder what the group experience might be. I can also rewind the
motor for 220 and use an off the shelf VFD, or I can modify a 440V VFD so it
accepts a DC input and then make a DC power supply (e.g. full wave doubler)
to supply it from the 220, or .......

so, what do you think?

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com