Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

Default Lifiting a Lathe...

According to John D. Farr :
Paul:

I used a Harbor Freight engine crane to get mine out of my van and set up. I
did it from a wheelchair with no help. I do have a few suggestions.

1) remove handles on the quick change box and as many others that you can.
It will save you from considerable damage if the lathe turns in the sling
and has to be set down on its side. Have 4 by 4 blocks handy.

2) My manual specified a single lifting point on the bed, just aft of the
headstock. Don't believe that for a minute! The CG is well above the bed.

IIRC, we had a posting several years back of a special device
custom made for the purpose of lifting such a lathe. It was a set of
plates -- the top to fit the ways, and the bottom to clamp under the
ways, joined by some allthread and nuts above and below. The allthread
terminated in an eye up well *above* the center of gravity, making the lathe
far less likely to suddenly turn turtle.

It (and the carriage) were slid back and forth until a good
balance point was established, and everything locked down firmly --
including the tailstock.

I *think* that posting was by Fitch, but I'm not sure any more.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564