Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John D. Farr

Default Lifiting a Lathe...

Paul:

I used a Harbor Freight engine crane to get mine out of my van and set up. I
did it from a wheelchair with no help. I do have a few suggestions.

1) remove handles on the quick change box and as many others that you can.
It will save you from considerable damage if the lathe turns in the sling
and has to be set down on its side. Have 4 by 4 blocks handy.

2) My manual specified a single lifting point on the bed, just aft of the
headstock. Don't believe that for a minute! The CG is well above the bed.
Mine is a bench lathe so the motor is in back, not underneath, moving the CG
a considerable distance off to one side. It will flip over in an instant if
lifted by just a single sling. I ended up picking it up from the specified
place. I also had a sling down near the tailstock. To keep it from flipping,
I tied the forward sling in place with a rope going through the headstock.

3) Spend the bucks on the right slings. I went to a friend to buy some
webbing to do it and he insisted that I take his sling instead. The problem
is that his sling was a spanset rated about 8 tons. That's all well and
good, but it filled up the hook on my lift, allowing no room for the sling
tied near the tailstock. I ended up buying several 1 inch single layer
slings from Enco. They are not expensive and will do the job. They are worth
every dime you pay for them.

good luck

John

wrote in message
I have a Brand new 13X40 lathe sitting on a pallet right in front of it's
stand.

It weighs about 1300 lbs.

My first thought was to rent an engine hoise, but most hoists I've seen
are rated to 1/2 Ton..
The Garage roof is a flat 2x12 roof, so it's not strong enough to do the
lifting,
thought I might be able to attach 4 2x6's to the roof structure, where the
2x6
would provide vertical support for the weight and the roof joists keep it
from tipping over.

I don't really have the space to use a fork lift, but that would be ideal
if I did.

Any suggestions?

I can always make a stack of 4x4 and cinder blocks and slowly jack it
up...

Paul