Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

Default Dishwasher not filling with water - Bad diagnosis?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Our dishwasher is having a problem where it is not filling up with
water. Since I haven't had time to try to troubleshoot we called a GE
repair guy.

He came out and said that the problem was the timer. I'm not sure I
believe this is the problem though. None of the troubleshooting sites
mention to check the timer for this type of problem. Also - since the
soap is properly released in the cycle I'm thinking the timer is fine.
Am I correct in my thinking?

The guy wanted almost $200 to do the repair. For that price I'd rather
just buy a new washer.

My options at this point a
Believe this guy and replace the timer myself (for about $50).
Find the time to trouble shoot the float switch and all the other
components that could lead to the filling problem.
Buy a new washer.

I just hate to buy the timer only to find out that it was not the
problem.

I had one that did this, I dumped a quart of white vinegar in it. NO SOAP
and let it run through a cycle. Cleaned the scum and left overs from the
water float on the bottom. My problem was the dishwasher was so far away
from the water heater I was basically using cold water. I ran the faucet
from them on till the water was warm, then ran the dw.

Just another thought from the outfield.