Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dishwasher not filling with water - Bad diagnosis?

Our dishwasher is having a problem where it is not filling up with
water. Since I haven't had time to try to troubleshoot we called a GE
repair guy.

He came out and said that the problem was the timer. I'm not sure I
believe this is the problem though. None of the troubleshooting sites
mention to check the timer for this type of problem. Also - since the
soap is properly released in the cycle I'm thinking the timer is fine.
Am I correct in my thinking?

The guy wanted almost $200 to do the repair. For that price I'd rather
just buy a new washer.

My options at this point a
Believe this guy and replace the timer myself (for about $50).
Find the time to trouble shoot the float switch and all the other
components that could lead to the filling problem.
Buy a new washer.

I just hate to buy the timer only to find out that it was not the
problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bennett Price

Does "not filling" mean not letting any water in or not enough water?

Is the problem just on the initial fill-wash cycle or does it recur
during the other fill-2nd wash, fill-rinse, etc. cycles? If the
problem is on all cycles, the timer is likely OK.

If it's just not enough water, check the mesh filter where the hot water
hose connects to the fill valve - may just be totally gunked up. Ditto,
the float switch.

If no water comes in, check the fill valve. Should be getting 120volts
during the fill cycle. If it has voltage but no water, the valve is bad.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like my dishwasher! (not sure of the brand)
Let it run by the timer, sometimes it doesn't fill.

Reset the timer and turn it veeery slowly, and viola! Good for another
week.

-Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I had one that did this, I dumped a quart of white vinegar in it. NO SOAP
and let it run through a cycle. Cleaned the scum and left overs from the
water float on the bottom. My problem was the dishwasher was so far away
from the water heater I was basically using cold water. I ran the faucet
from them on till the water was warm, then ran the dw.

Just another thought from the outfield.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank K.

I had a similar problem. After checking several
possibilities, I decided it must be the water supply line
being blocked by calcium, iron or other contaminant. When I
removed the water line from the shutoff valve under the
sink, a screw head fell out. It was from the screw holding
the washer in the shutoff valve. It must have been in such a
position as to just reducing water flow a bit. I repaired
the valve and all has been fine for about six years.

Frank

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 13:12:10 -0500, Stubby
wrote:

NB: In our dishwasher soap is released by a magnet latch. It depends
on the Curie effect -- some materials lose their magnetism above a
certain temperature.

And your dishwasher relies on that!?

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Brown's gas?? T.Alan Kraus Metalworking 16 December 9th 05 08:36 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 09:45 PM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 06:23 AM
Flushing / Cleaning Hot Water Heater Help Needed Cuse Home Repair 38 December 1st 03 03:01 AM