Posted to sci.electronics.repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
powerstation

Default White Knight tumble dryer - drum not turning

"James Sweet" wrote in message
newsYiqf.713$2B5.526@trnddc01...
powerstation wrote:
"James Sweet" wrote in message

The White Knight is a run capacitor system i.e. the start and run
windings are both energized when the motor is running. A capacitor start
motor is usually much bigger and has a means of disconnecting the start
winding and capacitor once the motor is running, either by the starter
or a centrifugal switch.

Ah, that's a PSC (permanent split capacitor) motor. Low starting torque
but simple, cheap, and generally reliable.

using an electrolytic capacitor

If it uses an electrolytic capacitor that would explain why the capacitor
fails. Most of the dryers I've dealt with have oil filled run capacitors,
as does my drill press and the fan motors in my furnace and heat pump,
those are are all the PSC motors I have I can think of other than the
refrigerator compressor, dunno what sort of cap is in that, I've never
looked.

refrigerator compressors dont have a capacitor.