Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Question about turning small details

"Greg G." wrote in message

Greetings,

Curmudgeon would appreciate assistance in turning small details.
This is more new ground for me.

Taking a vessel such as this, the areas of concern are marked in blue:

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...es/Vessel1.gif

What tools do you use to turn the rolled lip and beaded base details?
These are 1/4" ID or so.

The shops I have looked at don't sell many tools this small, but I
have a 1/4" round section gouge. Used as a scraper, it's shaft tends
to chatter. Used as a gouge, it's very grabby. I ground the ears
back to give it more of a fingernail shape, but it's still difficult
to use without tear-out and catching. I think I need to reduce the
bevel angle as well.

And with the plate I last made, the bottom of the plate's body gets in
the way of using a skew from one direction - so it seems impossible to
use a skew to cut a 1/4" inverted round at the point between the body
and the foot. Tear-out was also a problem with the wood used and at
the angles I was able to approach it.

Any suggestions?

Pointed gouge. Means ears waaaay back, drop at the sides almost vertical.
Enter with the sharp nose, then drop the handle and roll to shear scrape.

Narrower nose and more consistent angle of the bevel makes it less grabby
than a fingernail pattern.