Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Default Question about turning small details

Greetings,

Curmudgeon would appreciate assistance in turning small details.
This is more new ground for me.

Taking a vessel such as this, the areas of concern are marked in blue:

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...es/Vessel1.gif

What tools do you use to turn the rolled lip and beaded base details?
These are 1/4" ID or so.

The shops I have looked at don't sell many tools this small, but I
have a 1/4" round section gouge. Used as a scraper, it's shaft tends
to chatter. Used as a gouge, it's very grabby. I ground the ears
back to give it more of a fingernail shape, but it's still difficult
to use without tear-out and catching. I think I need to reduce the
bevel angle as well.

And with the plate I last made, the bottom of the plate's body gets in
the way of using a skew from one direction - so it seems impossible to
use a skew to cut a 1/4" inverted round at the point between the body
and the foot. Tear-out was also a problem with the wood used and at
the angles I was able to approach it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Greg G.