Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

Default un-kinking a bandsaw blade?

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 23:34:52 +0000, Andy Dingley wrote:

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:31:00 -0800, mac davis
wrote:

I was cutting some ash blanks this morning and it was scarey when you cut the
circle and the bottom face of the blank is a lot smaller than the top face, and
you can see naked blade between the wood and table..

It's not the naked blade that worries me about that, it's the lack of
support across the narrow base. It'll tip, and that's a great way to jam
a blade and kink it.

yeah.. that's the point I was trying to get across... as usual, you hit it spot
on, Andy..

A bracket or false table to support a pin from beneath is a much quicker
and safer way to guide a blank flat-side down. Failing that, attach a
wire guide from the top of the saw and mark out the centre on both sides
of the bowl. They're only blanks - accuracy doesn't have to be that
close until you're turning them.

I have a couple of different setups, the one I usually use is an expanding ring
clamp like I used to use for finishing bowl bottoms..
These blanks were both larger diameter and thicker than I normally cut... (about
15" rounds), and wouldn't fit any of my present jigs..

Accuracy gets pretty important for me on these blanks, Andy... they're wet wood
that when trimmed will JUST fit on my 1442, and I need to eliminate as much
wobble and shake as I can before they're spinning..

The pin to allow the wider face of the blank sounds like a winner.. got any
pictures or links to them??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing