Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy

Default Any Saw Stop Owners

"Todd the wood junkie" wrote:

Let's not kid ourselves for one second. The underlying perception of
the sawstop is to prevent accidental injury when flesh contacts the
blade. SUPER IDEA in every sincerity. If I were to create a business
plan on an idea like this, it would be to open a table saw to several
new markets of users:

1. Those who use tablesaws regularly and want that extra insurance in
case of a mistep.
2. Those who would never have purchased a cabinet saw, but would now
feel protected and safe from harm (until they realize a saw stop can
still throw wood back at them).
3. Those who want something different than anyone else (short term)

Right now, I think #3 above is the prevailing market. If you are
implying that a regular saw isn't as safe, then you have missed my
point. What I am saying is that if this new technology is to be
effective, it must be invisible to any user until needed. When needed
it MUST work right as intended every time, and forget about legal usage
disclaimers. To put any kind of usage disclaimers goes against a large
portion of what I would consider the long term target market.

Until it delivers perfectly against the perceived image, it is purely a
novelty.

Do you also avoid wearing seat belts, since they do not prevent death
or serious injury in every accident? How about airbags, which have
been known to CAUSE injuries. No, I don't think that perfection is the
right standard for removing from the novelty category.

Now whether it is sufficiently effective, I don't know; I'm just
quibbling with the idea that perfection should be the standard.