Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
drpcfix

Default Lifiting a Lathe...

1300 lbs is way too heavy for you to lift. Consider what would happen
to you if it fell on you. Out of the deepest concern to you and your
family, I offer to come an take away this very dangerous item so as to
not allow you to tempt fate. Of course, I will need some helo loading
it into my truck so I will bring a six pack of beer to offer to your
friends if they come and help.

Actually, the safest way to lift this with a minimum of help is to do
as you thought and jack it up using 4x4 lumber laid 2 front to back and
2 side to side on each end of the lathe. this is how professionals
move large items, even whole houses. jack it up 2 inches on one side,
slide in a 2x4 for safety, jack it up of the other side, do the same,
do this again so that you can now slide in a pair of 4x4 and so on.
This way you are never at risk of something this heavy falling over.
when you get to the height of the table, slide 2 longer 4x4 all the way
to the back of the table (on each side) and then move the lathe over
the table using some lengths of steel pipe.

the key is to always keep it under control so that if something breaks,
it can only fall straight down onto a firm support and then only the
shortest distance possible. using the root may work but you have no
way of knowing its support limits.

wrote:
I have a Brand new 13X40 lathe sitting on a pallet right in front of it's stand.

It weighs about 1300 lbs.

My first thought was to rent an engine hoise, but most hoists I've seen are rated to 1/2 Ton..
The Garage roof is a flat 2x12 roof, so it's not strong enough to do the lifting,
thought I might be able to attach 4 2x6's to the roof structure, where the 2x6
would provide vertical support for the weight and the roof joists keep it from tipping over.

I don't really have the space to use a fork lift, but that would be ideal if I did.

Any suggestions?

I can always make a stack of 4x4 and cinder blocks and slowly jack it up...

Paul