Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

Default Lifiting a Lathe...

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 19:33:45 GMT, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

I have a Brand new 13X40 lathe sitting on a pallet right in front of it's
stand.

It weighs about 1300 lbs.

My first thought was to rent an engine hoise, but most hoists I've seen
are rated to 1/2 Ton..

I moved my F.E. Reed 14x40 from floor to stand with an engine hoist. This
particular one had a "1/2 ton" pip in the arm, but it also had holes down to
4 tons. I shortened the arm, then lifted the lathe in four 8" lifts,
placing concrete blocks and boards under it after each lift.

After it was up to stand height, I gently PRIED the carriage forward until
the lathe was centered over the stand, and gently cracked the bleed screw.
I pried it forward, rather than trying to push/roll the hoist, because "PIO"
(pilot-induced oscillations) are a real danger when pushing a chain-held
heavy load with steel casters over a not-perfect concrete floor.

BTW... the Reed lathe is a lump of iron, and came in at almost 1700lb...
scary, but do-able so long as feet and bodies are always clear of the lift
zone.

LLoyd

Like Lloyd said. Gently pry the engine hoist forward so that it moves
real slowly. Don't be in a hurry. When you first start the lift, when
the lathe is about 1/2 inch high, make sure that everything is stable.
Make sure the back wheels of the hoist aren't getting light. Push on
the lathe and make sure it can't shift when suspended. Be sure that
the lathe can't be damaged by using straps if you can to lift it. Make
sure the straps won't be cut by any sharp edges. Above all, make sure
that if anything goes wrong you or your helpers will not be in a
position to get hurt. For example, if you need to put your hand under
the suspended lathe, slide some blocks under first so that if the
lathe falls it will land on the blocks, not your hand. Be sure to tell
any onlookers, or your helpers, if you use any, to not try to save a
falling machine. All they will do is slow it up a little as it crushes
them.
ERS