Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Default Lifiting a Lathe...

wrote:
I have a Brand new 13X40 lathe sitting on a pallet right in front of it's
stand.

It weighs about 1300 lbs.

My first thought was to rent an engine hoise, but most hoists I've seen
are rated to 1/2 Ton..

I moved my F.E. Reed 14x40 from floor to stand with an engine hoist. This
particular one had a "1/2 ton" pip in the arm, but it also had holes down to
4 tons. I shortened the arm, then lifted the lathe in four 8" lifts,
placing concrete blocks and boards under it after each lift.

After it was up to stand height, I gently PRIED the carriage forward until
the lathe was centered over the stand, and gently cracked the bleed screw.
I pried it forward, rather than trying to push/roll the hoist, because "PIO"
(pilot-induced oscillations) are a real danger when pushing a chain-held
heavy load with steel casters over a not-perfect concrete floor.

BTW... the Reed lathe is a lump of iron, and came in at almost 1700lb...
scary, but do-able so long as feet and bodies are always clear of the lift
zone.

LLoyd