Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Default Lifiting a Lathe...

wrote:
I have a Brand new 13X40 lathe sitting on a pallet right in front of it's stand.

It weighs about 1300 lbs.

My first thought was to rent an engine hoise, but most hoists I've seen are rated to 1/2 Ton..
The Garage roof is a flat 2x12 roof, so it's not strong enough to do the lifting,
thought I might be able to attach 4 2x6's to the roof structure, where the 2x6
would provide vertical support for the weight and the roof joists keep it from tipping over.

I don't really have the space to use a fork lift, but that would be ideal if I did.

Any suggestions?

I can always make a stack of 4x4 and cinder blocks and slowly jack it up...

I would suggest you do both - You need some overhead lift to guide it
onto the stand, and the blocks will give you some solid way-points
enroute. Get one of the $50 chain hoists from HF and rig it over the
pallet, centered about 1 foot from the headstock. While you are at it,
you will need a second hoist point over the stand.
Hook on with a strap around the bed. Also attach a chain, loosely,
around the bed as a backup to the strap. lift slightly. Adjust balance
with carriage and tailstock. Build up blocks and 2x12s (OK, 4x4s) under
the lathe as you go up until you are just above the stand.
Now move the hoist over the stand. this is the tricky part. You are
simultaneously lifting and dragging laterally, and this is most
unstable. Ideally you move the headstock end, letting the bed pivot with
the tailstock feet staying on the blocks. Once the headstock weight is
onto the stand, stick a long bolt through one of the mounting holes in
bed and stand, start a nut onto it. Now, leave the hoist attached but
slack enough to allow some lateral movement while still supporting the
weight. Remove the tailstock, and move the carriage fully toward the
headstock. Pick up the right side of the bed, preferrably with help, and
move it onto the stand. If it's too heavy to do by hand, you may need a
2nd hoist. A come-along would probably be adequate.
Do not remove the chain hoist until you are certain the stand is
stable, and the lathe is securely bolted down. One it's all bolted up,
lift the whole assembly, then lower it into place, to be sure you have
all the twist/preload out of the stand.

Alternative: Mount the stand on a caster base made of 2x2 square tubing
and angle iron. Drag it all outside, hire a forklift to set the lathe on
stand, then roll it inside.

Alternative 2: If you are handy with a welder, a steel gantry on a
wheeled base would be a handy thing.