Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
yourname

Default Lifiting a Lathe...

wrote:
I have a Brand new 13X40 lathe sitting on a pallet right in front of it's stand.

It weighs about 1300 lbs.

My first thought was to rent an engine hoise, but most hoists I've seen are rated to 1/2 Ton..
The Garage roof is a flat 2x12 roof, so it's not strong enough to do the lifting,
thought I might be able to attach 4 2x6's to the roof structure, where the 2x6
would provide vertical support for the weight and the roof joists keep it from tipping over.

I don't really have the space to use a fork lift, but that would be ideal if I did.

Any suggestions?

I can always make a stack of 4x4 and cinder blocks and slowly jack it up...

Paul

I once hoisted a very light car[sans engine, about same weight as your
lathe] from a 2x8 roof by laying a 2x4 across[above] the roof and
screwing an eye bolt from below, thru and with a fender washer and nut
on 2x4. 2x4 running at right angle to roof rafters to spread the load.

Mine was 10 ft span, 2x8s on 24 inch centers IIRC, and the snow load is
higher than the weight you are considering.