jim rozen

Default Bridgeport single phase motors ?

In article , DoN. Nichols says...

If it is a dual voltage (e.g. 120/240V) single-phase motor, and
you're operating at the higher of the two voltages, there is a way to do
it with the standard drum switch for thee-phase motors. I've posted an
ASCII drawing of the wiring needed at least a couple of times -- once
within the last month, I think. No relays needed at all.

I am willing to go farther out on a limb, and say it most certainly
can be done with a 120 volt motor as well, using the standard
three pole, center off, three position drum switch. I know because
I've done it on my 9" south bend, and others as well.

The essence of it requires, however, that there be seven or so
wires in the conduit between the switch and the motor. And
further that most of the leads in the motor be connected to.

The motor is basically two, two terminal devices. The run winding
is one, and the series combination of the start winding, centr.
switch, and capacitor, is the other. That gives four leads in the
conduit right there. The thermal overload protection gives two more,
because that has to interrupt the main power, and the green
ground wire is the seventh.

The drum switch has one pole that interrupts the run winding's
hot leg, and the other two poles are cross-wired to reverse
power direction to the start windings.

This sort of system is best wired up using liquid-tite conduit
between the motor and drum switch, because one can pull the
exact number of THHN conducors into place neatly. It works
with half inch liquid tite and makes a nice job. There is
never any need to employ relays or extra contactors for
machines like this.

Jim

please reply to: