Posted to alt.home.repair
bee man

Default Roof leak Temporary fixes

Dan_Musicant wrote:
On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:50:11 -0600, bee man wrote:

:wkearney99 wrote:
:My question is, is there a temporary fix I can apply over the shingles
:and the exposed flashing (6 inches) to act as a water barrier until next
:spring?
:
:
: Other than putting a big blue tarp over the roof? No, nothing else
: temporary.
:
: But look at it a different way, WHY is water collecting there? What about
: the situation isn't getting the water away from the house like it should?
: Is the roof pitch too shallow? Are there rain gutters dumping water in the
: wrong place? Or are there NO gutters that would move the water to the right
: place? Caulking is never a solution for stopping what should be handled
: through other means.
:
:Where may I purchase blue tarp? I thought it was only available from
:FEMA? All of the blue roofs I've seen are after hurricanes and FEMA has
:OK'ed the roof repair.
:
:The roof pitch may well be too shallow. I don't know what the pitch is.
: There are no gutters on the second story roof.
:
:I agree with you that caulking is not the true solution. I don't own
:the house so I'm just trying to do some stopgap repairs until I can move.
:
:Thanks for your reply. Appreciate it.
I've seen blue tarps all over, in particular Home Depot. I ordered a
silver tarp from Harbor Freight online, and it was a better deal than
Home Depot and evidently a better tarp. This was around two years ago,
and it's on my garage right now. The recent hurricanes may have dried up
the supply of big tarps, though. I couldn't find one after the storms of
summer 2004 to save my ass.

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate it.