Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rodney

Default Installing bushings

Thanks all for the help

Rod

"Rodney" wrote in message
Hi,
I would like to install oilite bushings in an aluminium casting for a
small steam engine which presently has poor bushings. Would the proper
procedure be to drill the casting undersize and then ream the bore to the
correct size for a snug fit? For a 1/4 in O.D. bushing would I ream the
hole to exactly 1/4 in or should it be slightly undersize? Can you buy a
reamer that is slightly undersize for this purpose? What about
adjustable
reamers?

Thanks

Rod

A lot depends on the shaft size. Typically, Oilite bushings are made
oversized, both ID and OD, but when you press them in the properly sized
hole, they are the desired finished size. Without a micrometer to
determine
the exact size you need, it's a crap shoot. The shaft would determine
that, and it may or may not be nominal. Assuming you want an
undersized
reamer, yes, they are readily available, particularly if you shop for a
chucking reamer. These are intended to be run in a spindle and don't work
worth a damn by hand, so if you're restricted to hand work, don't buy one.

I'm not convinced you'd find an adjustable 1/4" reamer, but I'm not sure
you'd want to do this job without the use of at least a drill press, if
not
a mill.

In order to insure that the holes are properly aligned, and not bell
mouthed
because of hand misalignment, it would be in your best interest to not
attempt this by hand. If bushing are to be installed that should be
aligned, boring the holes would be desirable, and for that you don't need
reamer.

Hope this helps, Rodney. I realize it's not the greatest news, but it will
keep you out of trouble.

Harold.