Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Deer antler

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 19:41:57 GMT, "Darrell Feltmate"
wrote:

Alysonsdad
I hope you have good ventilation. Everything we turn has a smell and antler
is worse than most. Actually it is the worst of anything I have turned but I
am willing to be educated if not looking forward to it. You know that smell
when the dentist is drillieng a tooth. Think times 10 with burning added.
Other than that, turn with the lathe fast, use sharp tools and take your
time. If the antler seems soft in places, and it well may, a bit of CA
soaked in works wonders. There will be a lot of color variation and very
little of it is actually white.
Hope it helps.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Darrell, you are one savvy cuss....Really like your website and
willingness to share what you have learned with everyone else. I've
taken a few of your hints and saved myself a boat load of time.
sooooo, maybe you know someothing about the lamination process. You
know the multi colored pepper mills ??? how do I go about doing that?
is it just a process of ripping enough colored woods and then stacking
them against each other and then leaning them in one direction when
they are gilued ..or what???

Eric