Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Brad Curfman

Default Deer antler

alysonsdad wrote:
Trying to turn a couple of pens for a hunter friend. Any suggestions
would be helpful and appreciated. It is not very white, can that be
fixed?

Thanks

I just tried to turn some last night for a pen for my brother in law. He
sent me a full set of antlers that weren't very white and they had a lot
of small growths on them. I'm not an expert by any means on antlers, but
I do know that the ones I have let off a highly putrid smell. After
trying to cut off two pieces at the bandsaw, I felt like I would vomit,
so I called it a night.

I'm going to throw away the antlers I have. I've seen Dave Hout turn an
antler keychain on his woodturning show, and he didn't mention a foul
odor from the antler. Maybe it was just the set I have, but I won't be
looking to turn deer antler anytime soon.

I guess this post isn't much help to you, but it is something to think
about. I need to scrub the inside of my bandsaw now.

--
Brad Curfman
http://www.curfman.net